Saturday, April 3, 2010

Service with a Snarl


Up until yesterday, the worst service I had ever received in a restaurant was maybe an uninspired teen at IHOP who only refilled my coffee two rather than four times. Ukrainian customer service, however, makes aforementioned teen look like a contender for waitress of the year. If I can manage to see through the smoke to find my way to a table, the real challenge is to get a waiter to pay enough attention to take my order and eventually bring food to the table. Never mind if it's not what was ordered (not that I actually know what I order anyway since the menu is in Cyrillic, the waiters speak in a mix of Ukrainian and Russian, and I communicate in an awkward mix of English, rudimentary Slovak, and sign language).
My only comfort is knowing that this surly service isn't reserved only for tourists-it seems to be the status quo. So, while I wait for my check to come, maybe I'll practice my Ukrainian glare: What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment