Monday, October 12, 2009

Faith in Humanity, Part 2






















I´ve developed a new talent in the last couple of weeks. OK, well, maybe a few new talents, if you count visiting the ice cream shop multiple times a day and getting some sleep despite raucous religious celebrations taking place outside your window as talents. But the real talent to which I´m referring is as a papel malecho artist. For two weeks, I´ve been volunteering at CITAC, a non-profit community center in Tapalpa that serves adults and children from the nearby rural areas who are "disadvantaged," either physically, mentally, or economically. While it is I who have showed up everyday as a volunteer teacher, it is truly the students of CITAC who have been teaching me. I know that many people who volunteer say this, meaning that those who they serve have taught them kindess, patience, or love. And while this is the case with me as well, the CITAC students have also literally taught me how to create beautiful papel malecho art. On my first visit to the workshop, the students, all of whom have special needs, taught me how to use recycled bottles to form a flower that would eventually become my masterpiece. Pepe patiently taught me to smooth the edges of my paper, and Mariana counseled me on my color choice and painting technique. As I worked, they enthusiastically praised and encouraged me.
In addition to the art workshop, CITAC offers physical therapy, equine therapy, computation classes, dance classes, and English classes, all free of charge. It is a truly special place, and I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to meet and learn from the beautiful people there.
Stay tuned: Karen in the kitchen?

No comments:

Post a Comment