Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Hovorim po trosku slovensky

My only comfort was the knowledge that I was not alone. Huddled in the hallways and making the most of our pathetic French, my fellow students and I engaged in the sort of coversation commonly heard in refugee camps.
"Sometimes me cry alone at night."
"That be common for I, also, but be more strong, you. Much work and someday you talk pretty. People start love you soon. Maybe tomorrow, okay."
-David Sedaris, Me Talk Pretty One Day


I started Slovak language classes this week, and, to my great surprise, I can already form a complete sentence. If you want to know if the book is near or not near the window, if Jozef is or is not Slovak, or if I do or do not have a sister, I am definitely the one to ask. Unfortunately, these aren't generally the types of things that come up while in public. Not that I would know what types of things come up in public, because everything still pretty much sounds like throaty babble to me. But I'll keep studying, and, hey, maybe tomorrow I'll be able to tell you whether or not Viera likes castles.

Stay tuned: Going veggie?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen,

    in Italy when we start to learn english we used to repeat something like "the cat in on the table" or "the window is open"!

    Good luck in your new linguistic adventure!

    Bye, Blu

    ReplyDelete