Monday, January 25, 2010

Eating Animals?

Against my better judgment, I am currently reading Jonathan Safran Foer's new book Eating Animals. For me, it had a couple of strikes against it before I even clicked open the first page on my Kindle. First of all, it's nonfiction, a genre that usually puts me to sleep within minutes. And secondly, and more importantly, within the pages are found strong, convincing arguments for vegetarianism. It's not that I don't respect vegetarians or understand why they would make this choice. It's just that I know my own lack of discipline (especially when it comes to food), and wasn't sure that I needed some book making me feel guilty about participating in a factory farm system that abuses animals and is destroying the environment.
But I adore Jonathan Safran Foer, so I felt like I owed it to him to read his newest work. After all the joy and pleasure (and tears) he brought me with Extremely Loud and Everything is Illuminated, maybe a little culpability over meat eating was payback. So I began reading and feeling guilty, so much so that the jamon serrano I purchased two weeks ago remains unopened in the fridge.
Jump to Vienna last weekend. Like any respectable tourist in Wien, I decided to order wiener schnitzel for lunch.
Without regret, I chowed down on the delicious breaded veal, effortlessly putting Foer's arguments right out of my mind. Having reaffirmed the carnivore in me, I confidently strode into St. Stephan's plaza, ready to do some more sightseeing. But what did I hear as I stepped into the plaza? Horrible pig squeals if pain. Yup, PETA in all their glory had set up shop right in the middle if the square and were showing lovely images of inhumane porcine slaughter. Help! I think I might be going veggie.
Stay tuned: Why I've Always Wanted a Garden Gnome

No comments:

Post a Comment