Friday, June 18, 2010

Worth the Risk

The other day while hiking in the forest outside of Bratislava, I happened upon a high-ropes course amongst the treetops. For those unfamiliar, a ropes course is a type of obstacle couse that involves climbing, crawling, rapelling, and balancing while perched high above the earth. While I decided to keep my feet placed firmly on the ground, I couldn't help but stay and watch the more adventurous souls make their way through the course. Some of the helmeted participants confidently scrambled across the high wires, but most of them approached their task with a bit more trepidation, if not sheer terror. As I watched these people come face to face with their fear, I couldn't help but think about times my life when I've found myself in similar situations, trying not to listen to the little voice telling me not to jump off that cliff into the river or slide down into that waterfall or leave my routine life for the unknown.
I recently promised a friend that, no matter what, we would continue to have amazing adventures. Watching people conquer their fear reminded me that sometimes you have to do that which scares you in order to feel the most alive.

Stay tuned: Bicycle Blues

No comments:

Post a Comment