Friday, July 9, 2010

Communicative Approach or Flap Those Arms

The teaching of foreign languages has changed in the 20 years since I first opened a Spanish textbook. While I was taught to conjugate and memorize and conjugate some more, the new communicative approach (as I've been told by my Spanish teacher friends) calls for much less bookwork and much more speaking in real-life situations. Johnny and Katie came to visit this week, and I couldn't help but feel that I was taking my Slvoak final exam, communicateive approach style. In my sheltered Bratislava linguistic life, I only ever really speak Slovak to my extremely patient teachers and fiends. But, during JJ and Katie's visit, we ventured out to smaller towns further east, where English is much less common. My Slovak was put to the test, and I'm happy to say, I think I passed.
Purchasing train tickets for a different day from a different station? Got 'em.
Inquiring if the ice cream contained egg? (A friend had an allergy) Successful. (No egg)
Chatting with a sweet man from Vazec about spelunking? Did it. (Even if I had to flap my arms becasue I didn't know the word for bat)

Let's just hope I'm not forgetting my Spanish conjugations.

Stay tuned: Laser shows

No comments:

Post a Comment