Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Step By Step

I've been spending some time hiking in the mountains recently. While the scenery has been spectacular, sometimes the terrain has been less than optimal. What passes for a marked trail here is quite different than those that I remember hiking with the Horvaths in the Rockies. At certain points, the "trails" have consisted of piles of rocks on the exposed sides of cliffs. Each step requires intense concentration, and deciding upon which rock to tread takes serious deliberation. One stray thought, I learned, about, say, the pirohy I'll be eating for dinner at the end of the hike, or my nervousness about returning to the real world in a couple of weeks, could lead to a nice stream of blood running down my leg, or worse.
While hiking, I am learning to be in the moment, to not think or worry so much about food, or more serious matters. Hopefully, this learning can translate into other parts of my life, when I'm not wearing hiking boots. To be fully present in my work, in my play, and in my relationships seems like a good goal.
But I can't think about that now. I need to keep my eyes and mind on the trail.
Stay tuned: Road trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment