Saturday, May 29, 2010

Holding On

I recently visited Slovensky Raj (Slovak Paradise) National Park. The main draw of the park are its hikes through green, waterfall-filled gorges. In order to successfully climb up these gorges, the average human needs a little help scaling the slippery rocks and making a vertical ascent. For this reason, the Slovak National Park Service built a series of "technical aids," (ladders, steps, and chains), that, as long as you don't fear heights, lead to a smooth, easy hike up the gorge.

While clinging to the side of one of the ladders, I got to thinking that I like this idea of "technical aids." How great would it be if, when the going started to get tough and when everything began to look steep and insurmountable, a technical aid would be there to grab on to?
But then I realized that you, my friends, are my technical aids. Only you're better than ladders and chains because, besides being sturdy and reliable, you can share inside jokes and eat ice cream and go on ridiculous adventures with me.
Thanks for helping me climb.

No comments:

Post a Comment