Friday, May 14, 2010

What´s Cooler Than Being Cool?

The weather around here, to put it nicely, has been less than optimal. The five sweaters that I brought along and am completely sick of should have, in my opinion, been retired long before mid-May. But the thermometer doesn´t seem to want to budge much past the 13 degree mark, and my T-shirts lie in wait.
While talking about the weather (one of the few topics about which I´m relatively comfortable discussing in Slovak) the other day, I was informed that we were in the midst of the days of the Ládove Muzi, the Icy Men. In Slovakia, as in many countries, each day of the calendar year is assigned a name (often that of a saint), and May 12, 13, and 14 are assigned to Pankrac, Servac, and Bonifac, respectively. These men apparently are the harbingers of cold weather, and, like a less-rodenty Goundhog Day, it is believed that if temperatures drop below freezing on these days, the threat of a cold spring and summer looms large.
Let´s hope that Pankrac, Servac, and Bonifac choose Bermuda shorts over long johns this year and let me put my tired sweater collection to rest.

Stay tuned:Too Old For This

No comments:

Post a Comment