Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Vineyard Vulgarity

Everyone has their archrival. The Cubs have the Sox, BMHS has Janesville Craig, the Bloods have the Crips, and Jim has Dwight. As an outisder, if you're smart, you recognize whose territory you're in, and, to win friends and stay safe, you remain loyal to those whose turf you're on. I didn't do such a good job of that this evening.
While sipping my first Slovak wine with a random assortment of very new acquaintances (English students of a less new acquaintance), the topic of Eastern European wine regions and varieties arose. Shockingly, despite my complete ignorance of the topic, I decided to open my big mouth, proclaiming, "Oh, Tokay, isn't that a Hungarian wine?" From the glares I received you would have thought that I had cursed their mothers, grandmothers, and the starting line-up of the national hockey team. Apparently, Tokay is a Slovak wine, and Hungary is Slovakia's Dwight.

Stay tuned: Surfing Safari

No comments:

Post a Comment